Skip to main content

Running a goth night is hard



For the last year and a half I have been helping run Phenox and now Alchemy which are the local weekly “Goth Nights” at Effex Nightclub. I wanted to write up a bit about the nights and how things have gone, and where we want to go.

I started working at Phenox by accident mostly. I think I was standing in the back one day talking about how much better it could be if they just put some more work into it; At the time for visuals they were just looping music videos that were on the house laptop which consisted of mostly popular hip hop and rap videos. Not the best background videos for a goth / industrial / alternative club night. I didn’t realize it but one of the guys running it was nearby and said, well why don’t you help out? I thought it over and said, yeah I can throw down some visuals next week. A year and a half later I now co run the night with Kenny. What a strange ride its been.

First off I wanted to thank Phenox / Daniel for starting this whole night. The goth scene had been mostly dead and there had not been a weekly night for some time. Out of nowhere Daniel got the biggest nightclub in town to give us Wednesdays to throw an event. It started off slow, but we all built an amazing night together.

Today we run every Thursday downstairs at the main room at Effex. We moved to Thursdays since we had noticed less people were able to make it out Wed nights, and Thursdays was always the traditional day for these nights going back to KGB and before. We have a number of rotating DJ’s, a resident VJ (me) and a number of helpers and support staff.

Running an alternative night is not as easy as I had expected. We do this for free because we love the scene and the music. I have not made a dime off of this night, and I have spent countless hours making flyers, websites, logos and branding, and visuals for the night. I just wanted there to be a fun place to go for us alternative folks who can listen to good music, have a drink and dance or relax. Regardless I am happy with what we have been able to make, and the awesome support of Effex and our DJ’s / crew. Without Kenny, Daniel, Carlos, Pi, Brian, Spencer, Marino, Ehrin, Kate, Paul, Defiant and everyone else who has helped out in any way we would not have this night.

I hope in the coming months that we can continue bringing you some amazing rotating DJ’s and some new events and theme nights. We want to keep adding to the night and have some more things going on to entertain people. We have some theme nights in the works to spice up the weekly events, and are working on getting some stickers / shirts made for giveaways. Check out the Alchemy Facebook Page and NMEBM.com to keep up to date!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roland Juno-6 Repairs

A while back at Music Go Round I saw something propped up in the corner behind the counter. It was a Roland Juno-6 in what looked to be good shape with just a broken ARP mode select switch and a key with a broken end. They just got it in and didn't want to fix it so they were selling it as it really cheap. Like really really cheap. So I bought it instantly and went home and found a key and switch on ebay for about $10 each. Replacing the key was a fairly simple, but the switch was a little more involved.



Roland Juno-6 key replacement

1. Remove the two upper screws on the left and right side of the wooden side panels.

2. Remove the screws on the bottom of the synth that attach the keys to the frame. There will be two rows of screws aligned with the front and back of the keys.

3. Gently flip up the metal control panel lid.


4. Remove the spring attached to the top rear of the key you want to replace.


5. Lift up the keys gently. I did not remove the cable bundle coming from them. I jus…

JP-8000 Battery Change

The Roland JP-8000 I have come into possession of needed a new battery in it, as it was displaying the "Low Battery" message. So after finding a good video on YouTube on how to change the battery I noticed the pitchbend wheel and the ribbon controller stopped working. I was thinking I broke something until after stumbling around google I found a very helpful post from Andy T over at Roland Clan. After the battery is changed, sometimes you need to re-calibrate the pitch and ribbon controllers.

Resetting the Mod / Pitch Bend Wheel and Ribbon Controller:
Found at: http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?t=27112

After you replace the battery in the JP,you will need to perform the following steps to get the bender & ribbon controller to work.

1. Before turning the JP on, hold down the SYNC, 12db/24dB and TYPE buttons.

2. Keep holding the buttons down and turn on the JP. It will take awhile but eventually the screen will show 1 midi test.

3. Press 3, display will read 3 B…

Watercooling the Corsair Carbide Air 540 case with the Corsair H110

A while back I upgraded my main PC case which for the past ~12 years or so was an Antec from the late 90's.



Corsair just came out with this cool cube case that was supposed to be very roomy with great airflow.  I also wanted to replace the stock intel cooler since instead of upgrading my mobo and cpu, I was going to overclock my Intel Core i5-750 to get some extra speed out of it. I decided to go with the Corsair H110 280mm watercooler which would work in the Corsair Air 540 case.





Installation of the H110 watercooler was pretty simple. You simply remove your old cpu cooler, assemble the bracket that mounts the H110 pump / heatsink to your cpu, and then mount the radiator + fans somewhere in your case. The Corsair Air540 has 280mm radiator mounts on the front and top, so I chose to top to mount the cooler.