Top Albums of 2013

Its been awhile since I posted a "Best Of" list but there were alot of great new releases in 2013 (and some late 2012 albums also.)  Here they are in no real order except for Comaduster which was by far my favorite album of the past year.

Comaduster - Hollow Worlds
http://tympanikaudio.com/artists/comaduster/

Comaduster's follow up to the fantastic "Slip Through" EP really blew me away with its driving deep bass and awesome sound design. This is what I have wanted from the modern electronic / electro / industrial genre for years. Every track on Hollow Worlds is layered with amazing sonic textures and great rhythm. The vocals are also just as fantastic with a great mildly glitchy edge to them on certain tracks. Overall I think that Comaduster's solo creator Réal Cardinal has gone and made something absolutely unique and intelligent with just his first major release.

Also go play Mass Effect & Dragon Age Origins and check out Réal's sound design in those games!




Vogel - Night City (single)

Holy shit Rob, I love this. His album is not even out yet, but Rob Vogel has been working on some amazing stuff. I used to follow him on LJ waaaaay back in the day and he has come a long way. This is my most anticipated album for 2014 so far.




Pertubator - I am the Night I for one welcome our new Electro Retro-Futurism overlords! But really, this album is great fun and I like this new retro 80's video game sounding ish stuff coming from artists like Pertubator, Kavinsky, Vogel, and Power Glove.




Nine Inch Nails - Hesatation Marks I have really been liking this album the more I listen to it. Its like a modern Pretty Hate Machine with its pop like song / vocal structures. I was never expecting Trent Reznor to keep the same old angsty formula for his whole life, and I'm glad that he has evolved and still makes great music. Also the live NIN shows have been some of the best looking concerts I have ever seen. Say what you will, but Trent Reznor knows how to put on a good show in the second "era" of his life.




Skinny Puppy - Weapon Meet the new Skinny Puppy, same as the old Skinny Puppy. I wasnt sure what to think about this album at first but the more I listened, the more I like it. I really dig that they went back to the Remission / Bites era synths for this album. (I should have kept my ESQ-1, oh well...)




Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist I don't like hip hop or rap, but this album I feel was really well done. Macklemore has some intelligent commentary on modern society wrapped up in some catchy tracks. Also a big win for him being an independent artist. 




How to Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion Again, Trent Reznor can do no wrong. I was really really worried when I heard he was forming a band with his wife, that never ever goes well. Except here, where HTDA shows what TR's style of electronic can be when mixed with female vocals. Great music, and the live HTDA shows were off the charts amazing. 




Zinovia - The Gift of Affliction http://tympanikaudio.com/artists/zinovia/ Tympanik audio, why are you so amazing? Another great artist from Tympanik. Zinovia is my favorite relaxed dark ambient album from the past few years. Beautiful piano work mixed with an ambient glitchy soundscapes. Win.
 

Kavinsky - Outrun What is it with the french electro artists? Kavinsky is another of what I call the Electro Retro-Futurism artists. Great 80's sounding electronic beats. Awesome retro look. I love it. 




Front Line Assembly - Echogenetic FLA can also do no wrong. The I.E.D. was great, the Air Mech soundtrack was good, and Echogenetic is wonderful. I only hope when i'm as old as Bill Leeb I can write music as half as good as this. This album has been my drive fast album of the year.





Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is beauty  This came out of nowhere to me, but this is a hauntingly beautiful gothic album that still gives me chills when I listen to it. I really want to see her live now. 




Tesseract - Altered State  Djent / Prog Metal awesomeness. 




More Machine Than Man - Dark Matter This was such a fun show. More Machine Than Man is one of the best industrial bands that I went to see live not knowing who they were before hand. Great catchy songs, interesting visuals, and super nice people also. I shot this video of them here in NM along with the lovely Nyree Nyx performing burlesque during one of their songs.






Honorable Mentions
  • Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - Daft Punk finds a time machine and ends up in the '70s again.
  • r.roo - innerheaven - Ambient Glitch Heaven is more like it.
  • Combichrist - No Redemption (Devil May Cry Soundtrack) - Combichrist as a metal band. Still good.
  • Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay - dirty, grungy, post rock awesome.

Want to check out some new music? Go hit up my friend Tommy T at DSBP records! http://dsbp.cx/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roland Juno-6 Repairs

JP-8000 Battery Change

Best Albums of 2021