Best Albums of 2020

2020 has come and gone. It went by fairly quickly for me, as I spent most days inside with Deyona. We caught up on television, movies, games, and music, which was a decent way to pass the days. Work also kept me fairly busy this year and I had an odd shift in the music that I listened to. I'm not sure if it was because of being inside for so long, or the lack of getting out to the Seattle goth clubs and other concert venues due to the ongoing pandemic. I drafted up this list months ago and just got around to finishing it, so here in no particular order are my best albums of 2020:

Health - Disco Part 4

I love Health, and I was a bit hesitant for a collaboration album, but then when I listened to it I was blown away. Such a great mix of artists and styles. I know the NIN track is technically 2021, but it fits with the album and theme perfectly.


Gunship - Black Blood Red Kiss Single

I love the whole New Retro genre, and Gunship continues to be my favorite band in there (Pertubator / Carpenter Brut are close runners up though). I never thought I would say, damn that track with Kat Von D is fire, but 2020 continued to be weird. Awesome track, and Gunship is now edging its way into  my top 10 favorite bands.


Emma Ruth Rundle - May Our Chambers Be Full

I saw this album on a few best-of lists and I have to admit - I had no idea who Emma Ruth Rundle was before I found this. I realize I have made a grave mistake by not listening to her sooner. I really liked this album which is a collaboration with sludge metal band Thou, but when I started listening to her back catalogue I was hooked. Then she dropped a track with Chelsea Wolfe and well, I now have a new artist (to me) to go see live for the first time. I love when I find new music like this that feels like I should have been listening to this my whole life and I somehow missed it.  



Grimes - Miss Anthropocene 

This is my guilty pleasure of the year. I feel like I shouldn't like this, but its such a good industrial / pop album I just cant stop listening to it.



Luk Hash - Transient Offworld

Luk Hash blows me away with every new album. I am a huuuuuge Commodore 64 fan and the fact that I can point anyone who likes electronic and / or dance music at Luk Hash and they are instantly hooked just speaks to how talented he is. Luk Hash has already released another album in 2021, and the new album "We Are Stardust" is so far, my favorite album of the year. Lets see if its sticks, but damn im so impressed. 


Torul - Teniversia

This album was my introduction to Torul and it serves as a best of album of the past ten years. Never in my life would I have thought I would try to get so many of my friends to listen to "My favorite Slovenian band (and only slovenian band I know of)" but here we are. I really like Torul; Like this is Synthpop I feel we should have been listening to at club every week back in NM but i'm just discovering them now. I linked a bonus video here since I like them so much.




NIN - Ghosts V & VI

I mean, you know me. Did you think a new NIN album would not be on my best of list? I love the Ghosts albums since they are great atmospheric music to listen to while i'm working or writing code. Great stuff and I look forward to more from Trent and Atticus in the future. 


BT - The Lost Art of Longing

I love BT, and his music really defined a very early part of my life when I first discovered electronic music. I think this album is a standout effort from BT from his recent music. This takes me back to an earlier time, where I was listening to pounding electronic music in a club or out in the desert with friends and no worries in the world. I get goosebumps just listening to the first few tracks with how powerful his songwriting is. This is the best electronic album I have heard in years. Bonus video for No Warning Lights - Turn the lights off, crank it up, and pretend you are out rolling will your best friends at a party somewhere.



Com Truise - In Decay Too

I enjoyed this album, and more Com Truise is always ok in my book. I feel like this one was played a bit safe, but not a bad effort at all.


Gorillaz - Song Machine

Oh wow, The Cure, New Order, Elton John?! Madness. Such a good album. 


Deftones - Ohms

Meet the new Deftones album, same as the old Deftone's albums; and you know what? This is exactly what I needed this year. Something familiar, and something well done. 



Lady Gaga - Chromatica

This was a fun album. Bonus points for the 911 video being directed by Tarsem Singh (The Fall, The Cell) and shot in NM. Tarsem can do no wrong when it comes to filming something.


Night Club - Die Die Lullaby

Its bands like Night Club that make me say "Yeah maybe the scene will be ok, and people will keep making fun dark alternative music." This is the music that will get asses on the dancefloor in the goth clubs. Fun album, good song writing. Night Club is like a younger more pop version of Collide, and thats a solid combo. 



Jessie Frye - Kiss Me In The Rain

I liked this album. New Retro 80's vibes and some well written tracks. Will be looking forward to more from Jesse Frye.


Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

This sorta became my jam last year; New Retro Wave vibes, great beat. Yeah I dig it. Not my usual thing, but I'm a big Dua Lipa fan these days.



Cold Storage - Chillout

Love it - If you ever played Wipeout, check this out. Great electronic music to workout or code to.


Hayley Williams - Petals for Armor

Great album, really enjoyed seeing what Hayley can do solo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roland Juno-6 Repairs

JP-8000 Battery Change

Best Albums of 2021